Thursday, November 26, 2009

The Best Part of the Chicken with Braised Radish and Kale


Dear Devon,

Thanks for introducing me to kale. No longer will I pass up kale on menus or at the market. Since first eating it at your house, I can't get enough. I hope that's not a reflection of a poor iron count in my body! I've been reading up on the ways to prepare kale: soups, pastas, and side dishes. I will be sharing my discoveries with you.




A few months ago, I bought my first bunch of radishes and braised them in butter. The results were pretty fantastic. Since then, I've incorporated radishes into my diet, in both main courses and side dishes. The bright green, tangy kale seemed a likely companion to butter braised radishes. I started by melting a good lump of butter in a hot skillet and tossing in my radishes. I turn the flame down to medium-low / low. The slow cooking gives the radishes a nicely browned exterior but still maintains the slight crunch and really brings out their wonderful sweetness. After removing the stalks, I chop the kale into 2-inch pieces and wash. The kale is then added to the radishes and liberally salted. Kale can be a bit fibrous, so I poached the vegetables in a mixture of 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 cup of red wine. I finished my side dish with a sprinkle of lime juice.


A wonderful side dish calls out for a piece of fantastic meat. A beautifully carmelized thick cut pork chop or a fatty piece of prime rib would be great pairings. I opted for juicy roast chicken. For me, roast chicken is one of the easiest and most comforting meals to make. In my family, we fight over the dark meat; the white meat is eaten at room temperature or more likely is secreted away in tomorrow night's dinner. To avoid this, I roast only chicken thighs and legs. Though it doesn't look as impressive as beautifully roast whole chicken, roasting select parts allows everyone at the table an equal chance at the choice pieces.


Pick chicken with the skin on--it will insure juiciness. Once, when I wanted to cook a bit healthier, I tried roasting skinless chicken. I'm sure you can imagine how that turned out. Rub meat with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss in the oven. For added tastiness, I like to lay the chicken over a bed of onion rings (sometimes I use fennel fronds, rosemary sprigs, or lemon). This infuses flavor into the meat and gives the skin a nice crispness. Because the process is so easy, I try to roast enough chicken to last about three meals (including dinner). With the leftover chicken, I cut the meat off the bone and shred. Later in the week, I use it for chicken salads, tacos, or fried rice. It's a nice time saving solution.

Making pies tomorrow for the big feast. Promise to write about it soon!! Send my greetings to your parents.

Love love
M

Roast Chicken with Braised Radish and Kale
serves 2

2 chicken legs with skin
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion, sliced into rings
salt
pepper

2 cups chopped kale
5 large radishes
1 clove of garlic, smashed
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup red wine
sprinkle of lime juice

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the onions rings on the pan in a single layer. Remove chicken from packaging. Pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle each chicken leg with one tablespoon of olive oil. Generously salt and pepper on all sides. Roast in the oven for about 30 minutes. The chicken is done when the skin is nicely browned and crisp and the juices run clear when the meat is pierced with a fork.

In a large skillet, melt the butter. Clean radishes. Remove the roots and the stems. Cut into sixths or quarters, depending on size. For even cooking, cut radishes into similar sized pieces. Add radishes to melted butter and cook over a medium-low / low flame. After about five minutes, add the smashed garlic. Salt. Slowly braise the radishes until nicely golden on all sides, about 10 additional minutes. Prepare the kale by removing the hard stems. Save the stems for stock. Chop the leaves into 2-inch pieces. Add chopped kale to the skillet with radishes. Gently saute kale. Salt. Add 1/2 cup water and 1/4 cup red wine. Cover and steam for about 5-7 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated. Taste for seasoning. The radishes are done when they can be easily pierced with a fork. The kale should still have some crunch and retain its bright green color. Sprinkle with lime juice to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment