Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Spicy Red Snapper



Dear Devon,

Since resolving to eat more fish, I have collected several fish recipes that I'm dying to try out. This recipe for spicy red snapper was at the top of the list. It came from my latest cookbook obsession, the Korean Table. Sadly, NYPL recalled the book, and I must content myself with photocopies...at least, until my birthday. Lucky for me, my birthday is in a few weeks.

A month ago, I made a huge batch of the red pepper paste used in Korean kimchi. Other than as a spicy topping, I thought I would have limited use for the sauce. However, I am pleasantly surprised to find that the 16 ounce jar of paste is steadily diminishing. When whipping something together, I find myself reaching into the fridge for that jar. I like the convenience of the paste for marinades and the spicy and sweet notes it adds to any dish. It has become an absolute staple.

The best part is this dish requires two ingredients: 1) red snapper 2) red pepper paste. Smother the fish with red pepper paste and roast in the oven. It couldn't be easier. The level of spiciness can be adjusted by adding less or more of the paste. If the paste is too spicy, dilute with a bit of water or a sprinkle of lemon juice.

My red snapper reminded me more of Sichuanese fried fish, only without the dancing pepper sensation. The fleshy snapper had a nice firm consistency, giving weight to the spicy sauce. I sprinkled fresh lemon juice over the fish to cut some of the spice and bring the flavor of the fish and pepper together. The dish was comfortably spicy, enough to give a consistent burn on the lips but mild enough to be calmed with water and a bowl of vinegary sushi rice. A crisp and spicy cucumber and seaweed salad balanced the meal, providing some freshness and a range of flavors.


Spicy Red Snapper
from At the Korean Table by Taekyung Chung and Debra Samuels

1 whole red snapper (roughly 1 pound)
salt
4 tbsp seasoned red pepper paste (see post from March 10 , 2010)
2 scallions chopped
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tbsp sesame oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking tray with foil.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together red pepper paste, sesame oil, scallions and lemon juice.

Wash fish and check for scales. With a sharp knife, make several incisions into the flesh of the fish on both sides. Salt the fish all over and inside the cavity. Place fish on baking sheet. Bake for about 8 minutes, until firm to the touch. Remove from the oven. Increase oven temperature to 425 degrees. Spread the red pepper mixture all over the fish on both sides. Return to oven. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a knife in the thickest part of the fish. The flesh should be opaque and flaky. Cooking time for the fish will vary depending on the thickness of the fish and the calibration of your oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment