Sunday, November 7, 2010

On Food and Cooking


Dear Devon,

Your last post really made me laugh. I’m glad that the Korean chili flakes will help you satisfy your kimchi craving. I completely understand the need for crunchy, salty, spicy, bright red kimchi. I am saving 8L plastic water containers for my next big batch. Though I am struggling with two small problems. First, I need to figure out how to store the kimchi once it has cured. At the moment, I don’t have enough glass storage jars yet. Secondly, I need to get my hands on some of those chili flakes!

On a more serious note, could you please consult your lovingly-thumbed copy of On Food and Cooking by Harold McGee? I have a burning question and I suspect he will have the answer.

A few weeks ago, I bought a bag of small green, spicy peppers. Two weeks later, the peppers have turned fiery shades of vermillion and Corvette red. The peppers were sitting in a clear plastic container on the counter. I wonder if constant exposure to light resulted in the change, or if the peppers have been maturing? In terms of spiciness, nothing has changed. They are not any spicier than when they were green.

I hope you find the answer. I am dying to know.

Hugs
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment