Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Grilled Hanger Steak

Dear Devon,

Do you ever get those nights when you just don't feel like cooking? I know, I have a food blog! How can that happen? Well, it does. A few nights ago, I just wasn't in the mood to dig through the fridge and think of something to eat. In these situations, I try to have something easy on hand like salad, frozen pizza, and if I'm really not feeling it - cereal. I managed to scrape myself off the couch to rummage through the fridge. Luckily, I had this beautiful hanger steak just waiting for some heat. I whipped out my brand new grill pan and grabbed some salt. Once the stove fired up, inspiration came knocking at my door.

The grill pan is my newest acquisition from Bloomies. It's dangerous working within walking distance of that store. I often find myself wandering through the incredible Home Department, drooling over the knives, the rainbow of Le Creuset, assortment of French Presses, and various displays of kitchen gadgetry. Beware, casual browser- it's hard to escape without a Big Brown Bag. I'm not an experienced griller, but I think I have it figured out. Raw meat, meet grill pan.

With the steak on the grill, I fished around in the fridge for some fixings. I grabbed a yellow onion and a red bell pepper. A few quick chops later, they joined the steak. Soon the kitchen and living room were filled with the intense smell of cooking. For a quick sauce, I smashed a clove of garlic with a mortar and pestle, added a squeeze of lime juice, olive oil, and lots of chopped parsley. The makeshift chimichurri sauce was a great addition.

Photographic documentation not a priority for a certain someone. I can't blame him. The meat was succulent with the slightly sweet flavor of beef, but without that tough, my-jaw-is-being-exercised feeling that this cut of meat can produce. Nicely striped with black grill marks, the red peppers burst with flavor and the soft onions practically melted in my mouth. The raw garlic and peppery parsley were a fantastic last minute addition, brightening the dark flavors of the meat.

The lazy cook's dinner ended up like a big night out.


Grilled Hanger Steak
1 piece hanger steak
1 red bell pepper
1 small onion
lime
salt
pepper
1 clove of garlic
parsley
olive oil

Heat a large grill pan on the stove top. Drizzle hot grill pan with 2 tablespoons olive oil.

Salt meat on one side. Place meat salt side down on hot grill. Salt the top side and sprinkle with lime juice from half a lime. Cook over medium high heat for about 5 minutes before flipping over for another 5-8 minutes. Keep the meat on the heat until your desired level of doneness. I like my meat medium rare, so a total cooking time of 10-15 minutes works well. Flip the meat over only once to get those beautiful grill marks. Cut an onion, lengthwise, into eighths. Slice up a bell pepper. Place on the hot grill. Remove the meat before slicing. This will allow the meat to rest and keep its wonderful juices.

For chimichurri sauce: crush one clove of garlic in the mortar and pestle with pinch of Kosher salt until it forms a paste. Add the juice of half a lime and 3 tbsp of olive oil. Whisk to combine. Mix in 1/3 cup roughly chopped parsley. The sauce should be fragrant and thick. For some nice heat, add a pinch of red pepper flakes. Serve over the sliced meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment