Monday, June 7, 2010

Favorite Brownies



Dear Michelle,

I have a long history with these brownies. They are the first thing I remember baking that I made of my own initiative, by myself, and for the first time. This must have happened some time in high school, because I remember making them for my 16th birthday when my parents invited some of my friends over for dinner. I thought I'd impress them with some awesome brownies, but unfortunately I forgot to add sugar! Since the chocolate used here is unsweetened, they were NOT good at all. I recently made them for the welcome bags we left for out-of-town guests at the wedding, and I did remember the sugar this time.


This recipe is from my mother's copy of The Joy of Cooking (I'm pretty sure the 1963 edition), which was the cookbook I felt most comfortable with through high school and college. I use my edition ('97) all the time; it is probably my most-referenced cookbook. The brownie recipe is pretty much the same, as far as the amounts go, but the instructions have been streamlined a little. At some point I decided to see how much chocolate I could add, and have increased the amount they use by 50%, from 4 oz to 6 oz. Any more than that, and something bad happens. I don't remember what, but considering how much I love chocolate, it was probably a textural problem instead of a too-much-chocolate problem.


These brownies are the best I've ever had; they are rich, chocolaty, with a slight crust on top and a very tender, but not quite gooey center. I might try making them with a little less sugar next time, but that's because I like the taste of sweet less and less, and tend to prefer my desserts richer instead. These never last long; if you want to save them for something, do not leave the pan out on the stove to cool! Best to make them when no one is around. Oh, and be prepared to lick the mixing bowl; I dare you to stop yourself.


Recipe scanned from my photocopy of my mother's book:




No comments:

Post a Comment