Friday, July 16, 2010

Mint Iced Tea

Dear Devon,

A few weeks ago, you sampled one of my most recent ice teas, a fennel and lime one. I keep empty bottles of Pellegrino and Bombay Gin for my iced teas. I guess you weren't expecting my greenish-yellow fennel tea when you reached into the fridge for some fizzy water. Your look of surprise was priceless. I am still tinkering with the recipe, so I won't be sharing it with you today, but don't worry, it is in the queue of future posts.

With the AC at work broken, I am constantly thinking of ways to cool down. It's absolutely miserable in the office. I have commandeered the fan and am keeping it for myself and Oliver. In the summer, I usually look forward to work because I am surrounded by overwhelming, Alaskan cold front AC. I even keep a sweater in my office to combat the chill. But my current situation is nowhere near Alaska - more like the punishing heat of Death Valley. When I start to wonder if bathing suits count as appropriate business attire, I know we're in the dog days of summer.

I find the easiest way to cool myself is with a large glass of iced tea. This summer, I've brewed a number of iced teas, but my favorite so far is a simple mint. I infuse mint leaves crushed with white sugar in boiling water along with a sachet of English Breakfast black tea. The recipe is super easy, which is good because it has been my main method of refreshment. I only buy sodas and juices on rare occasions, so these infusions are necessary for my survival in the summertime. The smell of mint runs deep, adding a second pleasant dimension to this soothing drink.

Brewing your own iced tea has many benefits. Mainly and most importantly, I control the amount of sugar and the strength of the tea. Commercial teas tend to be over-sweetened. The herbal or fruit flavorings are heavy handed, pounding me over the head with intense, sometimes bitter flavor rather than subtly flavoring the drink. The tea retains its sweet minty smell, even days after refrigeration.

Serve over four big ice cubes and this refreshing ice tea will cool any sweating brow.

Mint Iced Tea

Large handful of mint, loosely packed 1/2 cup mint
1 teabag, English breakfast or other choice
1/2 tbsp sugar

Bring a large kettle of water to a rolling boil. Tea is best brewed with the water at the boiling point, unlike coffee which should be brewed just below boiling. Using a mortar and pestle, gently crush the sugar into the mint. Add mint-sugar mixture to tea pot. I use a teapot with a tea cage meant for loose leaf teas. It helps to separate the mint from the finished tea. Add one tea bag (I prefer English breakfast). Pour boiling water into prepared teapot and steep for 3 minutes. Remove and discard the teabag. Let the mint sit in the hot water for approximately 30 more minutes. Pour into a reserved storage container. Cool in fridge for a few hours. Serve over ice cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment