Friday, August 5, 2011

Fried Zucchini Blossoms


Dear Devon,

The first time I ate fried zucchini blossoms was in your steamy Brooklyn kitchen many summers ago. The blossoms had been purchased that morning at the Union Square Farmer’s Market along with fresh goat’s milk ricotta. Watching you remove the interior stems and carefully fill each blossom with a ricotta cheese mixture, I was in awe of your confidence and skill. You dipped each prepared blossom in a bubbly tempura batter before easing them into hot oil, for a few seconds. It was fantastic to witness and needless to say, the blossoms tasted wonderful. I was thankful for having such an adventurous cook as a friend and marked this dish as something to be ordered in the restaurant but certainly not cooked by me. But, life has a funny way of catching up with you…and the markets of Barcelona have a powerful hold over me, especially when zucchini blossoms are involved.

Though the vendor gave me a full tutorial on zucchini blossom preparation and a number of good ideas, a wave of panic set in as soon as I entered my kitchen. I scanned the internet for assistance; but it only brought a more intense wave of panic. Do I have female or male zucchini blossoms? What exactly do plant reproductive organs look like and do I need to remove them before deep-frying?

The websites confirmed my suspicions that I was working with female zucchini blossoms. Now began the laborious process of removing the interior stamens. The first two tries were a bit dodgy but I soon got the hang of it. I cannot brag speed, efficiency, nor consistency, but soon they were ready for the hot olive oil.

Frying was never a cooking technique that I favored. I have a fear of spattering hot oil and grease clogged foods. But after visiting several Barcelona home kitchens, where the deep fryer is a regular appliance, I have adjusted my stance. Given the right conditions, fried foods can be relatively oil-free not to mention crisp and crackling. With the oil at temperature, my first blossom coated in a thin layer of tempura-like batter, I lowered the zucchini blossoms into a pool of hot oil. The blossoms immediately began frying, quickly turning a nice golden brown and developing a delicate crust. The process seemed so natural. The fried underside naturally rolled in the oil, like the tanning beach bums lining the sandy shore of Barcelona. After a few seconds, the golden brown blossoms were ready for a voluminous pile of paper towels and a generous sprinkling with Mallorcan sea salt.

Any notions of stuffing the blossoms were put off for a future attempt, of which I am sure there will be many. I never thought I’d rank among those who fried zucchini blossoms, but I suppose I do…and I won’t be stopping any time soon!

Fried Zucchini Blossoms
Serves 4 (at 3 a piece)

400 g flour
1 egg yolk
400 g carbonated water
½ tsp salt
12 zucchini blossoms
2 - 3 cups olive oil (perhaps more)

Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Whisk in egg yolk and carbonated water. The batter should be thick and a bit bubbly.

Using a wet paper towel, gently clean the blossoms. Carefully remove the yellow fuzzy stem from inside the blossom. Twist the petals closed and set aside.

Fill one large pot with oil. There should be enough oil for the blossoms to easily float on the surface. Heat oil to frying temperature. I don’t have a thermometer, so I drop a small spoon of batter into the hot oil to see how quickly the batter begins to fry.

When the oil is hot, dredge the blossoms in the batter. Ease the coated blossom into the oil. Avoid overcrowding the pot. Be aware that the temperature of the oil will drop with each additional blossom. To avoid a dramatic decrease in frying temperature, I fry three at a time. Transfer the finished blossoms to a paper-towel-lined plate. Dust with a generous bit of sea salt.

These are best eaten immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment