Thursday, February 4, 2010

Patricia Wells' Potato Gratin


Dear Michelle-

This is going to be short; it's almost time for dinner. I don't need to say much about this dish, which I made when I was at my parent's house. If you like potatoes, cream, and cheese, you will like this.

Patricia Wells has long been a favorite cookbook author of mine. I have three of her books, all of which I would recommend highly and in which I have found many of my favorite recipes. I've only been let down once, by the "onion family soup", but I'm pretty sure I measured wrong. That is one of those things that neither Jeff nor I mentions. It was really that bad, but like I said, I'm sure it was my mistake. Patricia lives a blessed existence in Provence, and cooks and writes about it for a living. She has several recipes for potato gratin, and this looked like the richest and most luxurious. It sure was. You start by cooking sliced potatoes in herbed milk, then layer them with cream and Gruyere. The dish is creamy and rich, but not greasy, and delicately scented with the herbs from the milk and nutmeg.

My father took them out of the fridge and dug in cold one day for lunch. Granted, he's not much of one to heat things up, but I had a few bites and they are pretty good cold as well. Really, you can't go wrong with this unless you are serving the lactose-intolerant. And that would just be cruel.

Madame Laracine's Gratin Dauphinios from Bistro Cooking by Patricia Wells, pg. 99

3lbs baking potatoes, such as russets, peeled and thinly sliced. I think I used Yukon Golds, my favorite potatoes, and they worked very well.
2 c whole milk
3 cloves garlic, minced (my father is garlic averse, so I substituted 3 T shallot to no ill effect)
3/4 t salt
3 bay leaves
freshly grated nutmeg
freshly ground black pepper
1 c creme fraiche or heavy cream ( I used the latter, not having any of the former)
2 c grated good-quality Gruyere cheese

Preheat oven to 375F.
Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with milk and 2 c water ( I think I forgot the water? but it was fine. As long as the potatoes are covered.) Add garlic, salt, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to medium and stir occasionally so that potatoes do not stick. Cook till potatoes are tender but not falling apart, about 10 minutes.
Transfer half of potatoes to large baking dish (9x13" works) with slotted spoon. Sprinkle liberally with nutmeg, half of cream, half of cheese, and pepper. Add remaining potatoes and cover with all of the above again, cheese on top.
Bake until crisp and golden on top, about an hour. Serve as a side, or with salad as a complete meal. Dig in!

1 comment:

  1. Those actually look really good. I'm going to give them a shot next time I need a side item. I think they need just a hint of cayenne pepper too?

    Bon Appetit!
    Will

    ReplyDelete