Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Chocolate Chip Madeleines



Dear Devon,

I have recently developed a taste for coffee. In the past, I only appreciated its smell, and the ritual of brewing. Rarely, did I drink it. The best part had always been grinding the beans and pushing down the plunger on the French press. But gradually, I grew to appreciate its flavor. Sweetened with a bit of sugar and diluted with warm milk, coffee is tasty. Now, my biggest fear is becoming a coffee-dependent zombie. Don't worry, it won't happen. I've managed to avoid being zombified by restraining myself to a few indulgent sips in the morning.


Why is it that in my late twenties, I have finally come to enjoy coffee? I blame the accessories. What shoes or handbags, earrings and scarves are to a fashion statement, biscotti and madeleines, croissants or donuts are to a great cup of coffee. A buttery madeleine or a crisp biscotti lightly moistened with coffee soothes the nerves after the merciless call of the alarm and chases away the lingering grogginess of sleep. Dressed in a simple flannel bathrobe, I feel decadent and I confess a bit cavalier with my tight morning schedule. (If I'm late, I promise, there were delays on the train.)


Lately, madeleines occupy my mind. I love their elegant shape and subtle flavor. A recent trip to the Silver Moon Bakery inspired me to butter and flour my madeleine pan. Silver Moon on the Upper West Side makes the most delicious cakes, pastries, and breads. They flavor their madeleines with a light sprinkling of slivered almonds or chocolate. Inspired by this idea, I baked a dozen madeleines dusted with chopped bittersweet chocolate. Thinking about more madeleines for tomorrow, numerous flavors come to mind including coconut, pistachio, lemon verbena, jasmine, and dried cherries.


Forget the coffee, these are addictive!!


Chocolate Chip Madeleine
Makes 12 madeleines (adapted from Dorie Greenspan)

4 oz melted butter
2 eggs
2/3 cup flour
½ cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
½ tsp vanilla extract
chocolate chips coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare madeleine pan: butter molds and lightly flour. Set aside.

Gently melt butter over a pot of simmering water.

In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with sugar until the ribbon stage. The mixture should be pale yellow and doubled in volume. Alternately mix in flour and melted butter in several stages, energetically whisking in between additions. The batter should be thick and dense. Flavor the batter with vanilla and salt, whisk until combined. Set aside for 10 minutes.

With a large spoon, generously fill each mold. Sprinkle the tops with coarsely cut bittersweet chocolate.

Bake for 16-18 minutes or until the tops spring back when gently touched. The edges should be golden brown. The madeleines should release from their molds fairly easily. Let rest on a cooling rack. Serve at room temperature or slightly warm.

P.S. I love your suggestion for everyday fruit tart. I am going to try it out. I just bought some beautiful tiny pears which will be perfect in your recipe. Will keep you posted!!

No comments:

Post a Comment