Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Fall Gnocchi with Cabbage, Apples, and Chorizo


Dear Michelle,

You know, the first time I remember having madeleines was when you sent them to me my first year in college. I was so impressed! Can't wait to try this recipe.

I have been on a bit of a gnocchi craze lately. Ever since I lived in Florence, packaged gnocchi have never been the same for me. Compared to the puffy little potato pillows they have there (which are not really that hard to make from scratch, but time-consuming), store-bought gnocchi seemed so dry and heavy. That is, until I recently saw Jacques Pepin's technique, on a public television rerun of one of More Fast Food My Way. It seemed so obvious; instead of boiling them, you saute them in fat, then cover almost all the way with water and let simmer till they are almost dry. They are still a whole different thing than Florentine gnocchi, but they deserve a respect all their own. They get a little crispy and golden on the outside, and soft and tender on the inside, and they are perfect for this cold weather when you want something substantial.


Jeff and I tried a chorizo taco at our favorite Mexican restaurant (this place is seriously good, and easy on the wallet. Try the tongue taco. For the squeamish, there are lots of terrific normal tacos, and all sorts of other delightful things), and loved it. When we saw some chorizo at a local bodega, he wanted me to try cooking something with it. I think that the fresh version might be better in this dish; I imagine it would fall apart instead of staying in chunks, but those were perfectly fine. Like usual, it was a winning suggestion on his part. Not only does the sausage ooze a bright orange fat when it is cooked, and I do love anything that intensely colorful, but the flavor is amazing. It is smoky and peppery from the paprika, and crunchy and delicious like anything made from the fatty parts of a pig tends to be. Add in soft gnocchi, silky sauteed cabbage, and just-cooked apples, and you've got a winner of a cool-weather meal.



Fall Gnocchi with Cabbage, Apple, and Chorizo

1/2 link chorizo, casing removed, diced (about a 1/2 cup)
1/2 package pre-made gnocchi
1/4-1/2 small green cabbage, core removed, cut in thin ribbons
1 apple
bacon fat and/or olive oil
butter
1/4 cup chicken stock (optional)
splash beer (optional)
water
splash apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper
some sort of cheese to grate on top (optional, and we used aged Gouda)


Add 1T fat and/or oil to large, heated frying pan. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, till crispy and just browned. Remove, leaving fat in pan. Add gnocchi, and cook, stirring occasionally, till crispy and lightly browned (they will turn orange from chorizo fat, or I'd say till golden). Add cabbage and saute till mostly wilted. Add stock, beer, and water, or just water, till gnocchi and cabbage is 3/4 covered. Turn down to slow simmer, cover, and let soak up water for about 10 minutes, or until almost dry. Add apples. Add a splash of vinegar and pepper to taste. Stir in chorizo. Add salt to taste, and stir in 1T of butter. Plate and grate cheese on top if using.

5 comments:

  1. Devon,

    I'll get Sebastian's grandmother's recipe for gnocchi and send it to you. She made it for us while we were at her home in Montevideo and it didn't take forever. Texture and taste was perfect and I felt lucky to be eating it. As with anything in the "homemade dumpling" category, practice makes perfect. My Meemaw also made amazing dumplings for her chicken and dumplings recipe that all the grandchildren were accustomed to almost every Sunday afternoon. As a child and teenager I failed miserably copying the techniques of my Meemaw. Might be time to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli-

    Please do send me the recipe- I'd love to try it. Homemade gnocchi are a totally different thing, like grocery store cheddar vs. that from a cheese shop. Sometimes you just don't feel like walking to the cheese shop, you know? And your average cheddar is still pretty tasty.
    DO try the dumplings again- and let me know how it goes!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooooo making this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While mine didn't turn out quite like the picture, it had more of a creamy consistancy, it has fantastic flavor. Smokey sausage, creamy gnocchi and cabbage with a sweet/tart bite from the apples. oh so goooood! Bonus points for being super simple as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nichole-

    I'm so glad you like it! I wonder why yours turned out creamier? Makes me think that a dash of actual cream wouldn't be the worst addition...

    D

    ReplyDelete