Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Fried Bagels

Dear Devon,

Who said that food blogs have to be about haute cuisine? As much as I daydream about labor-intensive chocolate raspberry tartes, simple, easy to prepare meals are always on my mind. Inspiration comes in every form, from the elaborate desserts at the now-defunct Payard to one-day old bagels.

Next to beagles, bagels are one of my favorite things in the world. A freshly baked and boiled bagel, hot and warm, slathered with green-flecked scallion cream cheese is absolutely irresistible. Just thinking about this wonderful delight, I'm drooling on my keyboard. Even yesterday's bagels can make me jump out of bed. But when I'm feeling especially decadent, and there is not a chocolate croissant around, I fry a bagel in butter. It's absolute genius. The bagel develops a crisp and crunchy exterior, infused with the heady smell of melted butter, mottled and golden brown, while the bite remains chewy and dense. Any variety of bagel can be used. I generally choose an everything bagel. Sesame, salt, poppy seed, onion, I can never decide, so everything is usually the choice for one who wants it all! Delicious, delicious.







I welcome any excuse to use my whimsical bacon press. Every house should have one, if not for cooking, then for sheer nostalgia. Bacon presses belong in the days of toast racks and canning jars, both of which I endorse. Mine is particularly fun because of the cute pig cast on the pressing surface. I am also enthralled by the bold text "Bacon Press" emblazoned across the bottom, lest we forget what it is for: BACON!! If you don't have a press, you can substitute a brick, wrapped in foil. I have no experience with foil wrapped bricks, so I can't attest to their efficacy.


Fried Bagels

2 bagels, any variety
3 tbsp butter
cream cheese, of your choice

cast iron pan
bacon press

In a large cast iron pan, melt two tablespoons of butter.

Slice bagels in half along the equator and generously butter. Put the bagels cut side down into the melted butter. Place the bacon press on top of the bagels. Cook over medium heat, just until the bagels turn a golden brown. Check frequently to avoid burning your bagels.

Top with a big smear of cream cheese. Serve open-faced.

Toodles
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment