Thursday, October 29, 2009

Chorizo 2: the Other Half of the Link

Dear Michelle,

It was so nice to see you guys last night! There's nothing quite like an impromptu weeknight dinner party, huh? It's such a guilty pleasure, especially when you eat like we did. Of course, I can't forget the cava. It went perfectly with our dinner.


At least what we ate last night was somewhat healthy, with the pan-fried potatoes and chorizo balanced by silky sauteed chard and crisp green beans flavored with garlic, chili, and lime. It's too bad that we got impatient after the first couple of smashed fried potatoes didn't work out; although they were also good fried in slices, the smashed potatoes were so pretty, and the texture was superior.



Just like before, the brilliant orange fat colored the potatoes, and the chorizo cubes were crispy, flavorful, and succulent. There are so many ways a potato can be fried, and all of them are good, but I'm glad you suggested trying to fry them smashed. I liked how the interior stays fluffy and moist, while the outside crisps up golden brown and delicious. Of course, frying them in pork fat doesn't hurt the flavor. After I used the first half of the chorizo, I knew I had to wait till you came over before I used the second half.


The big surprise of the night was the kale and green beans. I had wanted to try out a recipe for brussels sprouts and green beans sauteed in garlic, chili and mint that was in the last Gourmet (sob, such a good last issue), but at the vegetable store, the kale looked amazing and the brussels sprouts didn't. Now, I love kale, but I'm aware that the majority of the population does not. Jeff falls somewhere in the middle; he'll usually eat it if I put it in front of him, but he'd never ask for it. However, last night, I believe both of the boys went in for seconds, and Jeff remarked that it would have been just fine without the green beans! I have to say, it was even better than kale usually is. Steaming it first really makes a big difference, and then when it is sauteed with garlicy olive oil and a touch of chili oil and lime to brighten it up, it becomes truly delicious. I think we're having the rest tonight with some tamales I have in the freezer.

As requested, recipes follow. That is, except for the mayonnaise sauce I made. I was not satisfied with it.

Can't wait to see you again soon! Until then,

D



Smashed Fried Potatoes with Chorizo, and Chili-Lime Kale and Green Beans

For the potatoes and chorizo:

small round potatoes
herbs de provence
pork fat or olive oil
1/2 a link of cured chorizo, casing peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch cubes (about a half cup)
salt

Steam potatoes till tender when pierced with a knife, about 10-15 minutes or more depending on size (while they steam, start kale and green beans, below). Let cool slightly. Heat a pan till fairly hot, then add 2 T fat, and chorizo. Fry till crispy, then remove, leaving fat in pan. Smash a potato till about 1/4-1/3 inch thick (you do not want it to fall apart, just flatten). I took a piece of tinfoil , folded it with the potato inside, and smashed it with my hand. It's fun. Fry potatoes in pan, adding fat as needed, just enough so the pan does not become dry. Sprinkle a pinch of herbs de provence on top. Press with spatula and do not flip until very brown underneath (or they will fall apart!), then repeat with other side. Salt. Alternately, you can slice and fry. Wimp.

For the kale and green beans:

1 large bunch of kale
several handfuls of green beans (sorry, I forgot to measure, I'd guess about 1lb), ends removed
olive oil
clove garlic, inner stem removed, chopped
pepper flakes ( I used allepo pepper, which has more flavor than heat)
lime
chili oil
salt


Rinse, then steam kale whole in a large pot until tender, 5-10 minutes (now is a good time to start frying the potatoes). Remove, squeezing lightly to release excess water, and roll up and cut into ribbons about 1 inch thick. Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat, then add garlic and about 1/4 tablespoon of pepper. When garlic has softened, add kale and stir occasionally. Steam green beans 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender, then add to kale. Let sit over low heat, stirring occasionally, till potatoes are done. Squeeze half the lime in, add 1-2 teaspoons of chili oil (to taste- that stuff is hot), and salt to taste.

Make up a mayonnaise sauce. If it's good, send me the recipe.

2 comments:

  1. The kale and green beans recipe inspired me. We have chard and green beans in our garden not yet done in by the cold nights here in Morris County NJ and what a great recipe to combine them. I plan to give this a try this weekend with, possibly, a pork roast... thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still have chard and green beans in our garden in northern NJ (not yet done in by a hard frost) and your recipe has inspired me to combine them. I plan to do a pork roast this weekend and the chard (kale) green beans recipe will be a great partner dish... smashed potatoes are a possibility... with some adjustments... thanks for the fabulous ideas.

    ReplyDelete